The entire main cast, Ron Howard, and Mitchell Hurwitz gathered together in New York for a 90 minute reunion interview. The planned fourth season and movie were discussed. At the end, the cast performed the Chicken Dance.
The First Three Seasons of Arrested DevelopmentEdit
- Portia de Rossi on the first Script: " There was a cover letter that came with the script that basically said, pretty much, no diva type behaviour, it’s going to be shot from the hip, we’re not really going to have fancy trailers … I remember reading that and then came the “What are we getting ourselves into?”
- Will Arnett on ad-libbing:The camera was still shooting on Jeffrey in that sequence when he gets arrested [in the pilot] … and he’s calling his secretary to say ‘clean everything out,’ and then Jeffrey threw in, “Why are you crying?!” That moment [for me] was like, “This is great.”
- David Cross on keeping Tobias' moustache:"As I remember it … you guys were having a real tough time casting GOB. You guys had seen a lot of people and [said] ‘Would I look at GOB, also Buster?’… I immediately got the sense of Tobias and knew exactly what I wanted it to be. But I had to fight for the moustache. That was a big fight with Fox."
- Jason Bateman's favourite episode:When the one armed guy taught us lessons.
- Mitch Hurwitz on the Stair-car joke: "I remember making that joke when I was, like, 15-years-old."
- Mitch Hurwitz The Bluths were Jewish:When it started, it had a real gentile vibe to it and then it kind of got more Jewish. And I think the name Bluth … my wife [who suggested the name] was the one saying we’ve got to find a name that's Jewish but not too Jewish, ’cause you want to have that freedom comedically."
- Mitch Hurwitz on the next Arrested Development:"I knew that when they test pilots, one question they ask is, “Would you want to see another episode?” So it really did come from that. It was like, “Well, let me just put some teaser on the episode” … It’s a pilot, of course it’s not [already going to have] a next episode … Then it was a great thing because you always end on a big joke."
- The fake teasers at the end of each episode began, as Hurwitz put it, as “a craven way to get the pilot picked up. Anything to create that promise of ‘You’ve got to come back!’”
- Hurwitz and executives at Fox were reluctant to cast Jason Bateman because of his sitcom past, but were instantly won over by his audition.
- When asked about the Bluth family’s ambiguous religious identity, Hurwitz said they were originally based on his wife’s family: “It started, it had a real Gentile vibe to it, but it got more Jewish.”
- “Arrested Development” was cancelled before Nielsen began measuring DVR viewership, which Bateman thinks was the show’s natural format. “I think people quickly realized, ‘Well, I’m better served to watch this show after I’ve recorded it,’” he said.
- Alia Shawkat shared her first kiss onscreen with Michael Cera. “It’s changed me for the rest of my life,” she joked.
- According to Will Arnett, nobody made other cast members “break” (i.e. crack up in the middle of a take) more than Tony Hale.
- The character of Oscar Bluth was born one day “on the fly” when Jeffrey Tambor walked into the writer’s room wearing a wig. “The next day, Oscar was born,” he said.
- David Cross had to fight for the mustache worn by his character, Tobias Funke, because Fox executive Gail Berman had a standing rule for men in comedies: no hats, no mustaches, no fluffy shirts.
- The pilot scripts came with a cover letter which warned cast members that there would be no fancy trailers and no tolerance for diva-like behavior.
2011 New Yorker Festival PartyEdit
New Yorker Festival ArrivalsEdit
Arrested Development PanelEdit
Arrested Development Leaving the FestivalEdit
- The 2011 New Yorker Festival: "Arrested Development" Panel - Zimbio
- 2011 New Yorker Festival Party Hosted By David Remnick - Zimbio
- Chris Colfer & Portia de Rossi: New Yorker Festival! - JustJared
- 2011 New Yorker Festival Arrested Development - WireImage
- On the Scene at the first 'Arrested Development' reunion - EW.com
- Arrested Development Cast Does The Chicken Dance At New Yorker Festival Reunion - Huffington Post
- The New Yorker Festival 2011: 'Arrested Development' Cast - Huffington Post
- Arrested Development: Filming starts on new series - BBC UK
- "Video: Bluth family reunion - New Yorker
- Arrested Developmentrevived by US channel Netflix - BBC UK