G.O.B. accepts a job from his brother but is distracted by a scheme of his own.
At the model home G.O.B. and Michael talk about G.O.B.'s foiled Jesus' crucifixion illusion and how G.O.B. thinks it was Tony Wonder. G.O.B. plans to retaliate and ruin Tony's "gay magic" career. Michael offers G.O.B. a job of selling Sudden Valley homes and also gets his film rights.
G.O.B. lures George Michael to the Gothic Castle on gay night under the pretense of wanting to share a message from his father. G.O.B. has his nephew unwittingly pose as his boyfriend in order to sneak into the stage so he can lock all trap doors and openings before Tony's show. The show begins and Tony pops out of a beanbag chair. Following the performance, G.O.B. and Tony talk and Tony reveals he uses a body double in a mask to perform the illusion. They enjoy each other's company and agree to see each other later.
At the model home, G.O.B. tells Tobias about his plan to get revenge on Tony Wonder, saying only that he is dating a celebrity. When he sells Tobias a Bluth home, Tobias tells him that other sex offenders need houses too, so G.O.B. fills all the Sudden Valley homes with registered sex offenders. G.O.B. receives a call from Lucille who wants him to help get construction started on the US/Mexico wall. Unable to talk any Mexicans into building the wall, G.O.B. goes to the border to put in some manual labor himself where he meets China Garden who offers to find a Chinese crew for him.
Meanwhile, Sally Sitwell shaves Tony Wonder's legs (meaning the two are seeing each other) and they talk about how they stole $10,000 from Lucille Austero's campaign to start Tony's gay magic career. Tony also explains how he wants to reveal G.O.B. as gay and destroy his Christian magic career. Tony calls G.O.B. and sets up a date at The Little Ballroom but G.O.B. goes to the similarly named children's playplace instead. Michael follows him there and they fight over Rebel. G.O.B. finally convinces Michael that he is not seeing Rebel and tells him about the sex offenders. Michael then visits Lucille and rips up her film contract.
G.O.B. goes to Tony's house who is mad that G.O.B. stood him up. They make amends and flirt and bond as they drink wine and eat popcorn. For the first time in their lives they feel feelings so they decide to take things slow and agree to have sex on the night of Cinco de Cuatro. At Cinco, G.O.B. runs into Ann who had a child with Tony Wonder. Upset that he's not gay, G.O.B. recruits Ann to have revenge sex. At the model home, G.O.B. tells her to wear the G.O.B. mask and have sex with Tony. The straight video (taken using the cameras set up by John Beard) would prove he's not gay and he would lose his career. Ann suggests that G.O.B. wear the Tony mask and she wear the G.O.B. mask, and G.O.B. agrees.
Ann heads downstairs and convinces Tony to have sex with her while wearing the G.O.B. mask to out G.O.B. as gay, ruining his career as the Christian magician. Tony heads upstairs and the two presumably have sex. Later Michael arrives and sees Tony so G.O.B. forces a forget-me-now down his throat. The next morning Michael calls Lucille Austero and attempts to seduce her to get an extension on the loan. He then calls Rebel who tells him she has company, which turns out to be George Michael.
- Main Cast
- Will Arnett as G.O.B.
- Jason Bateman as Michael Bluth
- Michael Cera as George Michael Bluth
- Jessica Walter as Lucille Bluth
- David Cross as Tobias Fünke
- Ben Stiller as Tony Wonder
- Mae Whitman as Ann Veal
- Christine Taylor as Sally Sitwell
- Isla Fisher as Rebel Alley
- Karen Maruyama as China Garden
- Martin Mull as Gene Parmesan
- Alan Tudyk as Terry Veal
- Peter Jason as Storage Dave
- Liza Minnelli as Lucille Austero
- Justin Grant Wade as Steve Holt
- Jay Johnston as Officer Taylor
- Daniel Amerman as Mark Cherry
- Bruce McCulloch as Father Marsala
- Telly Kousakis as Gay clerk
- Adam Von Almen as Valet
- Trevor Larcom as Gregory
- Julie Bowen - Michael and G.O.B. assume the other is dating actress Julie Bowen
- House of Cards - Tony Wonder and Sally Sitwell plotting in bed, sharing a (very loud burning) cigarette just as the main two characters of House of Cards often do. Sally warns that it could all be a house of cards.
- The Prestige - Tony Wonder's "Now Everybody's Gay!" illusion is an allusion to the original Transported Man as performed by Borden, which shares many similarities to G.O.B.'s "Free Chicken" illusion in "For British Eyes Only" and "Prison Break-In". The entire plotline of Tony and G.O.B., two rival magicians, ruthlessly attempting to destroy each other's magic careers parallels the plot of The Prestige.
- Cross necklace - G.O.B. calls a cross necklace a "t" necklace. Maeby does the same in "Motherboy XXX"
- Gothic Asshole/Castle confusion - G.O.B. laughs over the idea that George Michael might have thought he said the Gothic Asshole when he requested they meet at the Gothic Castle.
- Candy beans - When using George Michael as a fake boyfriend G.O.B. refers to him as an "arm candy bean".
- Runaway Bride - G.O.B. refers to himself as having been a runaway groom; in "Fakin' It" Maeby says her mock wedding to George Michael will be like a film "without the corny runaway bride bit" then ends up reenacting the movie by running away.
- ANUSTART - Tony Wonder's initial suspicions that G.O.B. might not really be gay are assuaged when he hears the valet call this out as G.O.B.'s license plate.
- The still-frame images of G.O.B.'s evening with Tony Wonder mirror the images of G.O.B.'s first wedding and the experiences of G.O.B.'s ex-wife in the U.S. Army.
- After Lucille tells G.O.B. to make it look like major construction had begun on the wall, G.O.B. visits the Dr. House Improvement Center, whose sign features a cartoon character that resembles Tobias, whose actor, David Cross, auditioned for Dr. House (a piece of trivia referenced previously in Arrested Development).
- Whilst seen digging his mother's hole near the border of the U.S. and Mexico, G.O.B. says, "...show everyone that I'm not afraid of the sweet sting of sweat in my eyes." This is a reference to something Michael said in the pilot episode for Arrest - Buster! You can't do that on the balcony, buddy?
- The Sound of Silence
- While conspiring with Sally Sitwell, Tony Wonder has a similar half-revelation to G.O.B., in that he's planning on destroying the life of someone he cares about, "The Sound of Silence" by Simon & Garfunkel plays, a running musical motif for G.O.B's sadness when facing his pathetic magician lifestyle.
- When G.O.B. meets Ann at Cinco and believes she's saying that her child is his, an instrumental version of "The Sound of Silence" seems to play in G.O.B.'s head, before he realizes it's actually coming from the band passing behind him.
- Siri mispronounces G.O.B.'s name as "Gahb", something that G.O.B. has apparently given up caring about.
- Balls in the Air plays over the scene of G.O.B. and Michael fighting in the ballpit.
- Contradicting the narrator - The narrator states that G.O.B. and Tony's feelings are friendship and they will now want to avoid making any specific commitments, but is interrupted before he can finish by the two of them committing to a specific date to have sex. The running joke of the narrator being interrupted by a comment that contradicts him also occurs with Lindsay in "Red Hairing" and Maeby in "Señoritis".
- While finalizing his near-incomprehensible plan to frame Tony Wonder as a heterosexual, G.O.B. references the Straightbait films in a manner implying that he, like Tobias, had watched them.
- Ann is unmemorable
- Recapping G.O.B.'s failed wedding illusion at the beginning of the episode, the narrator initially refers to Ann as, "his bride... uh, her." He interrupts his own narration a short while later to add, "Ann. Her name's Ann, by the way."
- When confronted by Ann in the model home, Tony Wonder forgets her name. She responds, "It's Ann. Awfully funny time to be running into you." But he misunderstands her, thinking she said, "It's an awfully funny time to be running into you." G.O.B. had previously mistaken Ann's attempt to inform him of her name as the word, "and".
- Ostrich - There is a stuffed ostrich amongst the backstage area of the Gothic Castle, seen when G.O.B. is locking every item he can find.
- Officer Taylor - The police officer in Tony's show turned out to be gay in "Hand to God". His two-time partner, Officer Carter, appears in the audience at the Gothic Castle sitting in front of G.O.B.'s table seat as the audience applauds for Wonder's illusion.
- POOF'S WOOPS!
- G.O.B.'s "magic smoke" referenced in "Colony Collapse" is causing his bees to drop like flies. Product Recalls lists "'China Wow! Smoke From Nowhere.' Not for use near rabbits, mice, bees, doves, or colonizing animals."
- One of the other entries on the Woops column is Tobias setting fire to hair spray in front of children when posing for pictures as Johnny Storm in "A New Start".
- G.O.B.'s ad inviting sex offenders to move to Sudden Valley names him as President of the GOB Bee Company as well as Vice President of the Michael B. Company.
- When G.O.B. runs at Michael and shoves him through the wall of the My Little Ballroom they crash through a sign that says "No Rough Play, No Running, No Hitting".
- The name of the knife store that Michael and G.O.B. crash through the wall of is called "Thin Wally's Knives".
- Sex offenders - G.O.B. fills Sudden Valley with sex offenders, which concludes in "Blockheads".
- In a flashback to when G.O.B. was locked in the storage unit, it's implied G.O.B. hallucinates and receives advice from a drinking bird toy, "You know if tomorrow you won't open up and let someone else in, then the treasures you have inside may never come out." In "Off the Hook," it's revealed the message actually comes from a man discussing the storage unit on the TV show Locker Hawkers.
- Sally has alopecia - During the scene where Sally and Tony discuss their schemes, it's revealed that Sally had never shaved her own legs and has a false eyebrow hinting at the possibility that she has alopecia like her father.
- → See more quotes from "A New Attitude" at Transcript of A New Attitude.
- In the opening credits, G.O.B.'s instrument is an electric guitar.
- George, Maeby, Lindsay, and Buster do not appear in this episode.
- → See 108 pictures from A New Attitude at Images from A New Attitude.
- ANUSTART fan page based on the anustart running joke
|SEASON FOUR EPISODES|
|Season One • Season Two • Season Three • Season Four • Season Five|