"Good Grief" is the fourth episode of Arrested Development's second season.
Lucille hires Ice, the bounty hunter to find George Sr., who may be closer than everyone thinks. G.O.B. tries to pull off an elaborate illusion, Maeby tries to set Lindsay up with Ice, and Michael tries to mend George Michael's broken relationship.
At a luncheon catered by Ice, the Bluth family is informed that George Bluth has been murdered in a Mexican prison. The family decides to throw a wake but vows to not tell Buster, who has a history of violence upon hearing bad news. At the wake Michael expresses that George and he never had a good relationship, something he would dedicate his life to avoid doing with his son.
After the wake, Michael told the rest of his family that George was not dead but was hiding in the attic. Rushing up to see, they found that he had escaped. Having convinced them he was alive and on the lam, they left the attic. George then came out of the Aztec Tomb and was allowed to live in the attic.
Upset that Tony Wonder made the cover of the latest Poof magazine, G.O.B. decided to throw and elaborate illusion at his father's wake. To keep Buster occupied, G.O.B. asked him to be his assistant. Buster was led to believe the wake was a dark humor birthday party for George.
At the wake, G.O.B. performed the magic coffin illusion but it failed when Buster learned the truth about George. The crowd applauded, not being any the wiser to the illusion's failure.
Pop pop and George Michael
While on break from the Banana Stand, Ann talks to George Michael about how unsupportive his father is of their relationship. She then breaks up with him. A dejected George Michael is then informed of his grandfather's death but doesn't want to worry his father about his breakup so lies that he dumped Ann. While out walking to clear his mind, George Michael discovers a raggedy George hidden in a hole. He moves him to the attic of the model home.
Assuming George Michael was lying about breaking up with Ann and keeping her hidden in the attic just to please him, Michael invites Ann to console George Michael at the wake. Michael gives supportive words about their relationship. George Michael decided to reveal to his father that George was hiding in the attic.
Tired of both her parents' selfish attitudes about dating, Maeby asked Barry if he could emancipate her from their care. To prove she was in an unloving home she attempted to get Lindsay to flirt with Ice. Dressing her up in the SLUT shirt, Maeby nearly got the proof for Barry but Ice decided to head off and bounty hunt George yet again.
- Henry Winkler as Barry Zuckerkorn
- Malik Yoba as Ice
- Mae Whitman as Ann Veal
- Abraham Higginbotham as Gary
- Jason Aaron Tinero as Young Buster
- Saddam Hussein - George Bluth's underground hiding place and dental inspection mirror the real-life discovery of the deposed Iraqi dictator.
- Peanuts - the long-running comic strip is referenced several times in the episode:
- "Good Grief" is a commonly heard phrase from Peanuts main character Charlie Brown
- George Michael Bluth, George Bluth, Tobias Fünke, and G.O.B. walk sullenly with their head dropped, as Charlie Brown does when he's sad.
- When George Michael Bluth enters the house he collapses face down on the floor in despair, another common Charlie Brown eccentricity.
- A Beagle can be seen lying on top of a red dog house, mimicking Snoopy.
- Two people walk by in the background, holding a small Christmas tree, as in the Peanuts Christmas special
- Aztec Tomb - G.O.B.'s illusion is seen in the attic, hiding George Bluth.
- SLUT shirt - To attract Ice, Maeby convinces Lindsay to wear the red shirt again.
- Her? - George Bluth refers to Ann as "Her?"
- → See more quotes from "Good Grief" at Transcript of Good Grief.
- The picture of Ben Stiller as Tony Wonder was added last minute before airing, just after the producers landed him to appear in the episode "Sword of Destiny".
- → See and enjoy 92 pictures from Good Grief at Images from Good Grief.
|SEASON TWO EPISODES|
|Season One • Season Two • Season Three • Season Four|